We are in an Extended Heat Warning, please take care of yourself and loved ones. Check in on older people in the community and make sure your pets don’t remain outside for long periods.
How to Protect Yourself During Hot Weather:
– Drink lots of water and natural fruit juices even if you don’t feel very thirsty. Avoid alcoholic beverages, coffee and cola.
– Avoid going out in the direct sun or heat when possible. If you must go outside, stay in the shade as much as possible and plan to go out early in the morning or evening when it is cooler.
– Go to air conditioned or cool places such as shopping malls, libraries, community centres or a friend’s place. (WEAR A MASK IF YOU DO!)
– If you don’t have air conditioning, keep shades or drapes drawn and blinds closed on the sunny side of your home, but keep windows slightly open.
– Wear loose fitting, light clothing and a wide brimmed hat.
– Keep lights off or turned down low.
– Take a cool bath or shower periodically or cool down with cool, wet towels.
– Avoid heavy meals and using your oven.
– Avoid intense or moderately intense physical activity.
– If you are taking medication or have a health condition, ask your doctor or pharmacist if it increases your health risk in the heat and follow their recommendations.
Symptoms of heat exhaustion include: